Currently in my fifth year in PR, I can tell you that I’m being challenged more so now than I ever have in my career. How come? Here’s a few of the things I’m currently going through:
1) Learning how to manage others.
2) Writing more comprehensive client plans.
3) Trying to gain a comfort level discussing compensation and title issues with my boss(es).
4) Understanding that every client is different and so is the way you work/respond to each one. In other words, client relations.
5) Figuring out how to get media opportunities in a landscape that is seeing less and less journalists/outlets to pitch
I can easily say that this has not always been an effortless or fun transition moving up from Account Coordinator to Account Supervisor. But with that said, I AM learning something new everyday. The day that stops happening is the day that I’ll move in-house or to another agency or ultimately decide to take my career in a different path. Because to me, no matter if you’re in PR or any other industry, it’s all about learning and constantly challenging yourself and being challenged by your superiors/clients. Otherwise, you’ll never reach your full potential.